INTRODUCTION ON HOW TO WRITE A SYNTHESIS ESSAY
A synthesis essay gathers information from multiple sources. It then forms a new perspective about a topic. This thesis statement is used to either explain the topic or argue against it. The process of how to write a synthesis essay comprises 4 major steps:
- Synthesizing resources
- Composing a thesis statement
- Formatting the essay
- Talking through the text
A synthesis essay format has a five-paragraph structure. The writer should be able to present their viewpoint subjectively. Using external sources and evidence in support of their statement.
2 TYPES OF SYNTHESIS ESSAYS
There are two major types of synthesis essays. Their formatting remains more or less the same.
Argumentative essays are similar when it comes to synthesis essays. However, here the reader can only emphasize one point of the argument.
The central theme of an explanatory essay is to present the central idea. Multiple sources are used to explain it. You present both the negatives and the positives in an unbiased way to the readers.
THE COMPONENTS OF A SYNTHESIS ESSAY FORMAT
One uses a five-paragraph structure when writing a synthesis essay. Here is the format that is followed:
- INTRODUCTION: The central theme and the founding ideals of the essay are expressed in the introduction part. Present the thesis statement at the end of the introductory part. Using a good hook is important in any essay.
- BODY: The body part is where the most action takes place. This can spread across 3 paragraphs. The writer can use 2 paragraphs to state the sources and establish the thesis. The third paragraph is used to address and acknowledge the opposing views and other valid arguments.
- CONCLUSION: The concluding paragraph reinstates the thesis statement. State the main and valid points you have made to present the argument and close the essay.
- BIBLIOGRAPHY: Every time you write essays, it is important for you to cite your sources at the end unless told not to. The bibliography can go up to 2 pages.
HOW TO WRITE A SYNTHESIS ESSAY?
Writing a synthesis essay will not be a cakewalk if you do not have enough sources to prove your point. By using the following tips, you will be able to write a good synthesis essay:
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT TOPIC: Brainstorm a lot to come up with the best synthesis essay topic. Choosing a topic that is completely new to you will only waste your topic. Make sure to research well enough in advance to come up with topics quickly.
- USE VERIFIED SOURCES: The biggest mistake students do is using the wrong sources in their essays. Credible sources go a long way in adding substance and quality to your content. Use academic journals, books, and other reputed sources to gain more information.
- CITE YOUR SOURCES: An overlooked aspect while writing synthesis essays is not citing the sources. Have a list ready of all the citations. Dedicate a section for the bibliography to add credibility. Follow the guidelines of your professors. Ensure that your essay adheres to the rules.
- PROOFREAD: Proofread your writing a few times before submitting it. You will figure out grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, and punctuation mistakes. Do not use complex language and avoid jargon. Your writing should be clear and concise.
Knowing how to write a synthesis essay in a more detailed manner will help you get good grades. Improving your writing skills will help you establish a good impression in the eyes of your professor. Align your central theme with the sources and end with the thesis statement.