Garudasana is also called Eagle Pose, the name of Garudasana yoga is derived from the Sanskrit word, and in the case of Indian mythology, it is suggested that Garuda was in fact the king of all kinds of birds.
Garuda not only served as the vehicle of Lord Vishnu but was also at the forefront of the Gods to fight against all kinds of demons.
Yoga has been proved to be very effective in terms of having both physical and mental health. There have also been many scientific types of research on the subjects of Yoga and Pranayama, in which these have been found beneficial.
Although there are many types of yoga, today we have brought this article for you, in this article you will know what is Garudasana, how to do Garudasana, and what are the health benefits of Garudasana, and the right way to do Garudasana, so let’s begin.
What is Garudasana?
Garudasana is made up of two Sanskrit words – Garud + Asana.
Garud – “Eagle”
Asanas – “Posture”
That is yoga posture with eagle-shaped posture.
This pose looks like a pose of Garuda that is a bird, doing this yoga pose with a fasting stomach can be very effective to get the desirable results. You must ensure that you have eaten at least four to six hours before practicing this asana and have provided enough time for the body to digest food.
In an ideal sense, it is necessary to have at least a 10 to 12-hour gap between exercise and food, which is often given as the best advice for practicing asana.
However, due to the different busy schedules of people, many of them find it difficult to perform this asana in the morning. So if you are busy throughout the day then you can practice this asana in the evening as well. Whenever you practice this asana, there should be a difference of 4 hours between food and yoga.
How to do Garudasana Yoga Pose?
Whenever you do this asana, it is more likely that you will feel a bit constricted. However, after mastering this, the mind feels in the body that you are riding the air like an eagle in Eagle Pose. The term ride in the mind actually refers to the energy flow in any type of situation.
This particular flow, or energy, helps to become stable, firm, and more voluminous in the midst of any challenging situation without any kind of hindrance. Resisting can make you tired, and you can also give up. However, when you are in this particular posture, even if you give up or resist, you will definitely lose balance.
But if you do this asana with a very open mind, then you can easily overcome any kind of obstacles that keep the flow of positive energy in your body and mind.
Steps of doing Eagle pose
Choosing the right place for doing any type of exercise is a must for you so you feel comfortable while practicing any asana, Let’s know how to do Garudasana –
- First of all, you have to stand like Tadasana.
- Then bend the right knee slowly and then wrap the left leg around the right leg in such a way that the knee actually rests on each other.
- Now see that the left leg is touching the calf of the right leg.
- Then raise both arms forward.
- Now wrap the right hand on the left arm. Make sure the elbow is actually bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Then join the palms of both hands.
- Try to balance in this particular posture.
- Now remain in this posture for 40-60sec and take a deep breath slowly. Focus on your third eye and then discard all your negative feelings.
- Now release this mudra from the beginning and then practice it on the other side also while repeating this mudra.
Important Things to keep in mind while doing Eagle Pose
- As a beginner, it can be a little difficult for you to actually fold hands around each other. To make it very easy, spread the arms in such a way that they are actually parallel to the ground.
- You may find it difficult to keep your feet raised behind the calf of your foot or to maintain your balance in this posture. If so, to maintain your balance, place the toe on the ground.
- This will definitely help in maintaining balance. If even then the matter does not work, then you can take the support of the wall.
Benefits of Garudasana Yoga Pose
Many physical and mental problems can be relieved by the benefits of Garudasana, let us know what are the benefits of Garudasana-
- Garudasana helps to stretch the hips, thighs, shoulders, ankles, and upper back.
- Good exercise for maintaining a balance in your life by improving concentration.
- It strengthens the calf muscles.
- It also helps in relieving pain that is associated with sciatica and arthritis.
- This helps to make the legs, back, and hips more flexible.
- This asana also works well as a stretching exercise.
- This posture improves concentration.
Precautions to be taken while doing Garudasana (Eagle Pose):
- There are some important precautions that you need to keep in mind before actually performing this particular asana.
- If you are suffering from arthritis, then you have to practice this asana on the advice of your Doctor.
- If you are suffering from a knee, ankle, or elbow injury, then avoid practicing it.
- Pregnant women should always seek medical consent before practicing this asana.
If you are a fitness freak and want to know more about yoga poses, then you can join a Yoga School in Rishikesh, India.
Hope after knowing all these benefits, you will never have to say what is Garudasna yoga pose and what are the benefits of the Garudasana (Eagle Pose) yoga pose.